Wednesday 22 April 2015

Sewaholic Cambie in Floral Voile

The dress which sparked off my interest in sewing! Also the first pattern that fit me right out of the envelope.

Sewaholic patterns are drafted for 'pear-shaped' women. I can't tell if I'm a pear ... or an apple, or maybe a blueberry because I can be sweet or tarty depending on your luck. Ha!

Like most pears, I'm narrower up top with a longer torso and wider (childbearing) hips. I also like how every pattern includes pockets, with detailed instructions on how to sew them in. Everyone loves pockets in dresses, right?

I'm wearing decent shoes for once

It's a beautiful Japanese voile in a 'grown up' style, since it doesn't have chickens, orcas or polar bears on them - but why leave the cutest prints to kids who won't appreciate good fabric? This was purchased in Arab Street - the shop with nice ladies, not the one with resident pigeons roosting on the sign board that will poop on your head if you linger on for too long outside the shop (a story for another day).

You would smile too if you were going out for a steak dinner
The pattern included instructions for 2 kinds of skirts: a casual gathered skirt with in-seam pockets, or an A-line with slash pockets that would look great in formal office wear. So which one did I choose? Neither, of course. I am really bad at following instructions, so this one has a half-circle skirt. And no pockets ... I'm a rebel like that.

Here is a closer shot of the cute sweetheart neckline and subtle cap sleeves that are the main attractions of this dress. The cap sleeves are also perfect for hot weather when no sleeves are the best, but you still want a little bit of something to cover your shoulders so it's more dressy.

Selfie taken in the car. So (not) professional
The one thing that I really really really liked was the clear instructions on how to sandwich the invisible zipper in between the outer fabric and the lining, so it gives a very clean RTW-style finish. I can see how this detail would hardly excite a non-sewist, but to the crazy obsessed-about-sewing people like me, it's a very big deal ok?

Details that make you feel like a pro at sewing

By the way, doesn't my head look huge in the first 2 pictures? I can't decide if it's the dress, or the camera angle, or maybe I really do have a very big head.

My twin is an evil queen, or so I've heard

*Revelation: It's the wide angle lens that my phone uses. Duh. The lens sort of distorts pictures, especially if the photo is taken up close. In real life, I probably look more like this ...


I'm not sure if you are able to spot the differences but in these photos, there is overall better proportionality. So I'm not that special with my big head after all. Darn.




2 comments:

  1. So adorable you are and I love your style in clothing: Simple, elegant, classy and fun. Would you be willing to share the name of the 2 patterns you used for this dress (the dress and the half circle skirt)? I'm new to sewing and can't get enough but not sure if I'm adventurous enough (or skilled, for that matter) to use two patterns for the same dress. You inspire me though! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele,

      Thank you for your kind words!

      The bodice pattern is Sewaholic's Cambie (http://www.sewaholicpatterns.com/cambie-dress-pdf-sewing-pattern/) which is one of my all-time favourites! The instructions are really clear.

      For the half-circle skirt, these links were really helpful:

      http://byhandlondon.com/blogs/by-hand-london/11628453-circle-skirt-maths-explained

      http://byhandlondon.com/pages/circle-skirt-app

      I've had to draw the pattern out by hand so it's quite time-consuming the first time.

      Hope that helps!! :)

      Delete