Monday 18 May 2015

Matching in May

Whilst perusing at one of the many amazing thrift stores on our recent trip to Perth, I came across this cute single doona cover for $1 - marked down due to a few rips. How could I resist? $1 for almost 4 metres of soft cotton? Why not, right.

Some people might feel squeamish about using someone else's cloth things to make clothes but I'm an experienced thrifter and had spent many a good afternoon at the local St. Vinnie's when I lived in Australia many years ago. I am a huge proponent of recycling and upcycling. Thrift stores depend on donations and are screened by volunteers to make sure they are of reasonably good condition. They also tend give employment opportunities to the less privileged (e.g. those with physical or other health conditions). It's just a little sad that now that I'm back in my country, people here are less open-minded about upcycling and repurposing, so we don't have as large a thrift community here.

Anyway, back to sewing. The Scientific Seamstress Lab Group has announced a series of challenges for the month of May and the one which I had contributed was naturally for the week of 17 to 23 May for little matchies!

"Make a child's outfit and the matching doll version
Make a clothing piece for yourself and something to match - accessory, outfit for a kid, something for your pet, etc.
Feel free to get creative! just use a Scientific Seamstress or Sisboom pattern in there for your focal piece! "

So I did!
Excuse the poofy bust, it's not usually like that

Mine is a Carolina Mae from Scientific Seamstress / Sis Boom, while hers is a self-drafted easy dress since I didn't have the Gabriella Fae. The pink rose border print was a pleasant surprise as I did not see that when the sheet was purchased since it was folded up and placed in a clear plastic bag. I have not worked with border prints before but it was quite fun!

The actual print itself is a little too sweet from my usual style but the little princess loved it.


I love this photo :)  And her sparky shoes.

For my CM, the modifications were an extended waistband and using a half-circle skirt. On hindsight, I should have stuck to the gathered skirt as the overall effect is rather shapeless on me. 



Just a pick to show the back of her dress. Instead of a loop and button closure, I've opted to just use a self-fabric ribbon tie just coz it's cuter. Also I do not enjoy making button-holes and button loops.


Just a pic to show how darn proud I am of my perfectly matching seams at the waist! And a close up of the rose and lavender print.  



Instead of my usual hand-picked zipper, I'd opted to use an invisible zipper sandwiched in between the lining and the main fabric. This gives the dress a neater finish in the inside and prevents zip from scratching / digging into my back. The instructions were from my Sewaholic Cambie dress, but it is easily adapted to almost any other lined dress.

Not bad for $1 worth of fabric!


No comments:

Post a Comment