Friday 8 May 2015

The Tiramisu dress - conquering my fear of sewing knits

Pretending to look at something interesting that's crawling across the floor
I made a functioning dress in knit material! Darn proud of myself, too. Not sure what took me so long to embark on the knit journey but I am hooked. Knits are so so comfy, really quick to sew up and actually quite easy to handle (I used a serger).

The Tiramisu dress from Cake Patterns was one of those patterns that inspired me to start sewing my own dresses (the other one being the Sewaholic Cambie). I love the easy kimono sleeves, wide cumberband and overall vintage-y silhouette. I've got chunky heels and a little red belt on (the holes are heart-shaped!!) just to play up on the 1940's look.

Pretending to look at something that's behind the photographer

The dress was made in size 30 and 25" waist with no modifications other than not adding pockets, and shortening the skirt to 19" so it comes up to just 2" above the knee. The bodice looks a little wrinkly in the photos but it's not like that in real life. This dress was made for comfort and it really is!  The navy blue makes it just a little more formal, and I wore the dress to work. I don't think this dress will look out of place anywhere that a normal person would go to, e.g. after work drinks, on a date night to the movies, to a picnic, for chasing the kids/dogs around in the park ...

Pretending to look at something in front of me, but my hair is in the way

I would like to make a special mention about the surplice neckline. I am naturally drawn to cross-over bodices but I've not been able to make or even buy a RTW that doesn't gape. One would usually be a little self-conscious with the gaping, but I could literally do somersaults in this dress (with leggings on underneath, but of course) and the neckline will still stay - NO GAPING. It's sheer genius in the "why didn't I think of this" sort of way.

Pretending to look at something in front on my right, my hair is forever in the way
I can't wait to make more of these! I already have 2 yds of lovely fuchsia bamboo jersey ready for another version of this, but with pockets and maybe 1" taken in at the side seams. I also have some double knit that would be great for a frankenpatterned Tiramisu top + pencil skirt combi. Has anyone attempted that yet?


No comments:

Post a Comment