Sunday 20 September 2015

A shirtdress: Ethan / Angie mashup

My previous foray into shirt-making was really a prelude to what I really wanted to make - Shirt dresses!

I love me a good shirtdress. They are every occasion ready, can be dressed down or up, fits all body types and have a sweet retro feel to it. I've also probably broken every single grammar law in the last sentence.

Here a few of my inspirations ...

From Christian Dior's "New Look" collection in the 1950's

The immensely popular McCall's 6696 - in white cotton eyelet!

Modcloth, who doesn't love pies?

I love front button placket on the M6696 version, but prefer the half version on the Modcloth pie dress. I guess it could have been more straightforward to make an extended shirt but I wasn't too keen on having it button all the way down the front because it's just too much work. It's not very fun to have to sew so many buttons. Also imagine if you need to put the dress on in a hurry because you're late and having to fasten TEN tiny buttons. And you are already late. And you need to fasten TEN buttons through the teeny weeny buttonholes.

So I decided to make a half shirt-dress - apparently it's a proper term, it's not a term I'd just made up. Most such dresses require a side zip (like the Simplicity 2215), but I remembered that I had a genius pattern that nips in at the waist yet doesn't require a zipper - the Angie!

It's a little experimental since my first Angie failed when I wasn't able to pull the dress over my coat hanger shoulders without breaking a seam or two. This time around, I made sure to measure the circumference over my shoulders to ensure that I would be able to put the dress on without any more rips.


And it worked! I suppose I could have made a fuller skirt so it doesn't look so straight up-and-down, but I didn't have enough fabric for that. The sun was so bright when this picture was taken! Oh, oops ... there's an awkwardly placed button that's in the way and my belt doesn't sit properly.


Guess I would need to adjust the button positions! Good thing the belt is soft, so it just covers the button.


The back view which I'm still not very satisfied with. It looks poofy! The original intention was to make it look gathered toward the waist (like the Jenny, or the M6696), but it didn't happen. I'm also not able to make darts nor gather the bottom hem or I wouldn't be able to slide the dress over my shoulders. If anyone has any ideas on how to make it work, please let me know!

(I didn't switch belts in between photos, it's actually a sash that looks like woven faux leather in the front, and tied up with a fabric bow in the back.)

The main fabric was a quilting cotton remnant from a thrift store, and looked like someone's attempt at tie-dying cloth. It looks really loopy. The collar and front placket are made up of a stiff white cotton, and I've used larger 18mm fabric-covered buttons just for fun.

Again, I wanted to show just how neat it looks on the inside, since my last attempt at this wasn't too clear. The shoulder seams are enclosed within the back yoke. See how psychedelic the print is? It reminds me of the old sea-green marble floor tiles from the 1970's.


Another WIP shot after the collar and collar stand has been attached, and still no exposed seams! There is quite a bit of top-stitching involved though, so it helps to have a good machine. Making a cameo appearance is my baby Janome 525S, which also makes beautiful button-holes.

I'm addicted to making shirt(waist) dresses now. Tbh, this is actually meant to be a toile using cheapo material so that I can do up the real thing in something dearer ... like a Nani Iro! With a lace back yoke (would it work? hmm ... )! And pockets!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment