Monday 28 September 2015

Tilly and the Buttons Fifi: Pyjamas for grown ups

The Fifi is pretty much my pattern dark horse. When it was first released, I was a little sceptical - who would pay so much for a pattern for PJ's?? And how hard could it be to draft your own camisole and shorts set? As it turns out - very hard. Also, this is the first time I'm trying a pattern by Tilly and the Buttons but now I want to go back a get a couple more. Do they ever go on sale?

I must have read every single review and browsed through all the #sewingfifi posts on Instagram before splashing out on the pdf pattern, making this the most expensive pdf pattern I've ever purchased! I got so obsessed over it that I'm making my THIRD Fifi - not only to get more mileage out of the pattern, but also because it's cute, it's sexy, it's comfy and utterly wearable.



I think I am about done with making dresses for now since I don't get to wear them very often (or at least the fluffy, kitschy ones that I like to make). But PJ's on the other hand will get a lot of wear.

Speaking of obsession, I have been picturing this exact design in my dreams for the longest time.



I've tried to get the lighting and editing to show the colour as closely to the original as possible, but I am not very good at describing colours. It's ... uh ... maroon. The fabric is not silk nor satin. It's actually a medium-weight polyester that has a rather luxurious feel and fantastic drape. This only sells in the shops along Arab Street and is called "Silky Crepe" or "Sildoll". My other completed Fifi is with a Nani Iro double gauze (most comfortable pyjamas ever!!!!), while my work-in-progress is with a Cloud 9 voile. 

Only after making one did I appreciate all the thought that went into the design of what is essentially sleepwear. And why shouldn't pyjamas be given as many details as day wear? 

1. The defining highlight would probably be the pleated bra cups. I've not come across such a detail before! Most camisoles would have you gather the bust-line instead, though this is a lovely change.

2. Curved hems - this was such a nightmare to sew! I love the look of curved hems, but it is so difficult to get it right. 


There is a rippling / twisted effect which I was unable to press out, since this fabric is un-pressable. I've also seen them on many RTW garments, even those made of cotton. Does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of it? Or to hem curves without the ripple?

3. Every single seam is frenched, i.e. no exposed seams. So you can use all sorts of delicate fabrics as laces.



The black lace trim at the collar and hem of the shorts were hand-stitched on.


And look! It's little hearts. The lace is a little stretchy, and somehow my machine wasn't able to feed it nicely over the slippery fabric and edge-stitch it together. The needle kept veering off toward the lace and the stitches were uneven. Hence the hand-stitching, which I actually enjoyed since I was able to blind-stitch it so it doesn't show on the RS.

The finishing touch was a little rayon tassel that I found at Sing Mui Heng, a local crafts store.


I thought it gave the whole thing a rather burlesque feel, rather than having just a simple ribbon bow (too cutesy). 

Unfortunately, no modelling pics because it's too risque. Some things are better left unseen. Hubs said there are too many weirdos out on the internet :D I guess he wants to keep my Fifis to himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment